Time to mark your calendars for the...
2017 100TH BOMB GROUP FOUNDATION REUNION
OCTOBER 19-22, 2017
HYATT REGENCY DULLES
2300 Dulles Corner Blvd
Herndon, VA 20171
LINK TO RESERVE HOTEL ONLINE
TO RESERVE HOTEL BY PHONE: (703) 713-1234 Mention “100th Bomb Group” to get discounted room rate of $109/night single occupancy (+$10 per each additional person). Room rate includes free Wifi and full breakfast.
Online Reunion Registration
Reunion Registration Form
(to print and mail)
100th Bomb Group Foundation Reunions are first and foremost a gathering of extended family. Our reunion hotel has lots of indoor and outdoor space to sit, visit with old friends and make new ones. A huge banquet hall just for meals and a second ballroom for presentations. We do have an informative historical program in the works and we hope you participate! There is an OPTIONAL visit to Arlington on Thursday afternoon (must be signed up for). Note we’ve added a few meals to take pressure off attendees who do not have a car or those who just want to stay put with friends. The hotel dining and catering staff will be ready!
SCHEDULE SUMMARY AS OF FEBRUARY 25, 2017
WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 18
- 6:30 - 8:30PM Optional Dinner at Hotel for Early Arrivals (see registration form)
THURSDAY OCTOBER 19
- 9:00 - 11:00AM Board of Directors Meeting
- 10:00AM Reunion Registration Desk Opens
- 12 Noon - 4:00PM Arlington Cemetery wreath laying on 100th BG gravesites (approval pending) (those interested must sign up on registration form)
- 6:30 - 8:30PM Welcome Buffet
FRIDAY OCTOBER 20
- ALL DAY Udvar-Hazy Smithsonian Air & Space Museum
- Located on edge of Dulles Airport, this museum attracts military & aviation buffs from around the world. You will be immersed in airplanes - from the earliest aircraft, to the P-51 and B-29 Enola Gay from WWII, to the Space Shuttle Discovery. There is a Restoration Center where one can observe ongoing preservation work, and an Observation Deck overlooking Dulles Airport. Docents are already preparing for our visit, including some WWII veterans. A brief welcome presentation will be provided as our groups arrive. IMAX shows are optional throughout the day. Shuttle coach bus transport will be provided all day, so come and go as you wish.
- 5:30 - 7:00PM Symposium Dinner Buffet
- 7:00 - 9:00PM Symposium SEPT 11, 1944 RUHLAND MISSION & HISTORICAL RESEARCH
- 100th Bomb Group Historian Mike Faley, Jan Zdiarsky and others will present Historical Symposium centered on the 100th BG Ruhland Mission of Sept. 11, 1944. From reenacted Mission Briefing, to documentary air combat with loss of 12 100th BG B-17s and crew, and post-war research on the fate of planes and missing aircrew - this ongoing story is compelling. Losses were devastating for the 100th, but that was just the beginning. Decades later, after the fall of the Soviet Union, dedicated researchers set out to discover and excavate crash sites, document each crew’s fate, and solve the mysteries long-unanswered from that air battle in the skies of over Kovarska, Czech Republic. Families whose loved ones disappeared that day, still awaited news…. This remarkable story deserves to be told, and the 100th BG Foundation is proud to bring it to you.
SATURDAY OCTOBER 21
- 9:00 - 10:00AM General Business Meeting for Membership of 100th Bomb Group Foundation
- 12 Noon - 1:00PM Lunch
- ALL DAY A series of speakers and discussions are planned (schedule pending) including:
- Exclusive Update on Masters of the Air production, bringing the men of the 100th Bomb Group to life in the HBO mini-series
- Stalag Luft III, moderated by Val Burgess - A panel discussion on clandestine operations in POW camps: importance of escape - tunneling, wooden horse escape, & Great Escape; communications - code writers & radio operators; OSS & intelligence operations and more. Extensive display of materials & artifacts from clandestine operations in POW camps
- Phil Samponaro, 95th BG Historian, will tell his uncle‘s story, Dudley Ingraham of the 350th Squadron 100th BG, KIA on Feb. 3, 1945 Berlin Mission
- Jim Blakely will speak about his father, 100th BG Pilot Everett Blakely and the Bremen Mission of Oct. 8, 1943
- 5:30PM Reception and Banquet Dinner
As always, we plan to welcome the Tallichet’s B-17 Memphis Belle (movie), Jonna Doolittle Hoppes, active duty military members of the USAF 100th Air Refueling Wing, Curator and museum volunteers from both Thorpe Abbotts 100th BG Memorial Museum (England) and Museum of Air Battle Over the Ore Mountains Sept 11, 1944 (Czech Republic), and others. In particular, we wish to welcome Stalag Luft III Historical Researchers to our extended family. All are welcome!
We look forward to seeing our 100thBG "family" at another amazing reunion gathering! View