|LEGENDARY COMMANDER OF THE 100TH DURING IT'S GLORY DAYS; IS CREDITED WITH MAKING THE 100TH ONE OF THE 3RD AIR DIVISION'S OUTSTANDING UNITS. CONSIDERED BY MANY TO BE THE MODEL FOR THE GREGORY PECK CHARACTER IN "TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH" (GEN SAVAGE)
REMAINED IN THE USAF AND RETIRED AS A MAJOR GENERAL, ONE OF FIVE MEMBERS OF THE 100TH TO MAKE GENERAL. KNOWN TO ALL 100TH VETERANS AS "COL JEFF", GENERAL JEFFREY IS HELD IN HIGH ESTEEM AND THEY ARE, TO A MAN, PROUD TO HAVE SERVED WITH HIM.
FOLLOWING ARE MISSIONS FLOWN BY GEN JEFFREY WHILE WITH THE 390TH PRIOR TO ASSUMING COMMAND IF THE 100TH.
Combat Record of Maj. Gen. Thomas Jeffery (100th Commander May 1944-Feb 1945) while serving with the 390th Bomb Group (H), Station 153, Framlingham. On these missions Col Jeffery flew as Command Pilot with the 390th Bomb Group Maj. Gen. Jeffery was one of the 390th's original crews. The following missions were flown with the 390th and include, date, pilot, aircraft number (whenever possible) and target.
On these missions Col Jeffery flew as Command Pilot with the 390th Bomb Group
THOMAS S. JEFFREY’S MISSIONS FLOWN WITH 100TH BOMB GROUP:
According to the mission critique, On August 8, 1944 the target was German Ground defenses around St Sylvian. The 100th Bomb Group "A" Group was leading the 13th CBW (Combat Wing) which lead the 3rd Air Division and the 8th Air Force. The lead Group consisted of 13 aircraft lead by Col Tom Jeffrey (Commanding Officer of the 100th BG) and Lt Neal P. Scott. The 100thBG "B" Group also consisted of 13 planes and they were flying Low Group in the 13th CBW. They lost one aircraft (Lt J.P. Keys) and the Lead plane crash landed behind allied lines. The 390th Bomb Group flew as High Group in the 13th CBW and the 100th BG provided 3 aircraft for the 390th BG's second element of the lead Squadron.
CAPT FREDRICK "FEARLESS FREDDY" CHAPIN FLEW AS LEAD BOM ON 8 AUG 1944 (ST SYLVAIN). ALWAYS A TOUGH TARGET AND THE 100TH LOST IT LEAD AND DEPUTY LEAD TO FLAK PRIOR TO THE TARGET..CAPT CHAPIN, WOUNDED ON THE MISSION TO ST SYLVAIN; RETURNED TO FLIGHT STATUS AND FLEW 32 FOR THE 100TH AND ONE WITH A B-24 GROUP; PROBABLY THE ONLY 100TH VETERAN TO FLY A MISSION IN A B-24;
AIR FORCE BIOGRAPHY
MAJOR GENERAL THOMAS S. JEFFREY JR.
Retired May 1, 1970.
Major General Thomas Stanley Jeffrey Jr. was born in Arvonia, Va., in 1917. He graduated from Arvonia High School, in 1934 and graduated from Virginia Military Institute in 1938 with a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering and a reserve commission in the Field Artillery.
Immediately upon graduation from the Virginia Military Institute, General Jeffrey entered flying school at Randolph Field, Texas, as an aviation cadet, where he received his pilot wings in 1939 after having completed the bombardment course.
His first assignment after Kelly Field was Langley Field, Va., and after a few months he was transferred with a new unit to Puerto Rico. He participated in reconnaissance and mapping of many areas of Central and South America.
General Jeffrey returned to the United States in 1942 and was assigned as squadron commander with the 34th Bombardment Group at Spokane, Wash. When the 390th Bombardment Group was activated at Blythe, Calif., he was assigned to the group. He led the 390th Group to England in 1943 and remained with it as deputy commander until May 1944. In May 1944 he was assigned to the 100th Bombardment Group as commanding officer where he remained in this capacity until just prior to the end of the war in Europe.
During his tour in Europe, General Jeffrey flew 27 missions in B-17s and was awarded the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross with four oak leaf clusters, Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters, Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, French Croix de Guerre and Polish Cross of Valor. He participated in the famous Schweinfurt bombing raid October 14, 1943 (Black Thursday) and both of the shuttle bombing missions to Russia.
Just prior to the end of World War II, General Jeffrey was assigned as deputy director of operations of U.S. Strategic Air Force in Paris and later as director of operations of U.S. Air Forces in Europe when the Headquarters moved to Wiesbaden, Germany.
Upon return to the United States in 1946, General Jeffrey went to Barksdale Field, La., as deputy director of operations for the Air Training Command and director of training aids requirements for the U.S. Air Force. He remained in this capacity with duty at Barksdale and Chanute Air Force Base, Ill., until 1950. During the period of 1950 - 1954, General Jeffrey was director of operations for the 47th Air Division, Walker Air Force Base, N.M., for two years; chief of Strategic Weapons System Development, Air Research and Development Command, for one year; and attended the Air War College.
General Jeffrey next was assigned to the Pentagon where he served for three years as chief of development for the Armed Forces Special Weapons Project. In 1958 he joined joint Task Force-7 with Headquarters at Arlington Hall, Va., and acted as director of operations and chief of staff of that organization for two years during which time he planned and participated in the atomic tests series in the Pacific area in 1958.
In August 1959, General Jeffrey went to the Industrial College of the Armed Forces at Fort McNair, D.C. He was selected as Site Activation Task Force commander of an ATLAS E Squadron located in the area around Spokane, Wash. In this capacity he was responsible for construction, missile installation, test and check of the squadron. He was awarded the Legion of Merit and was named Military Man of the Year in Spokane. When the squadron was operational, he was assigned as Site Activation Task Force commander of a Minuteman missile wing at Minot Air Force Base, N.D., with the same responsibilities.
In June 1964 General Jeffrey was transferred to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio and served as assistant to the commander, and later as deputy for systems management, Headquarters Aeronautical Systems Division and in June 1966 was appointed vice commander, ASD. In October 1966 he was assigned to the Office of the Secretary of Defense (Installations and Logistics) as staff director for aircraft. In June 1967, he was appointed as director of production and programming, Deputy Chief of Staff, Systems and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force.