Google is reindexing search results for our new site. We appreciate your patience during that process!

Glenn M. Lashbrook Diary

June 19, 1943
Graduated Mather Field, Calif. — Class of 43-9 and given 10 day delay and 3 days travel time before reporting to first duty station.

July 2, 1943
Reported to 330th Bombardment Group, Biggs Field, El Paso, Texas – – Group did not need any navigators.

July 4, 1943
Re-assigned and reported to 333rd Bomb Gp, Dalhart Air Force Base, Dalhart, Texas.

July 5, 1943
Assigned to 466th Bomb Gp Squadron, Savoie Provisional Group as Navigator on Lt George Ford’s crew, flying B-17s. Crew was then near end of second phase of it’s training.

August 17, 1943
Left Dalhart for Scott Field, Illinois after having 8 day leave, which was spent in Santa Ana, Calif. with Barbara. (Wife of Glenn Lashbrook)

August 22, 1943
Left Scott Field for Dow Field, Bangor, Maine after completion of staging. Day before leaving, Mom, Dad, Irene, Richard, Isabel and Allan came down and we drove to St. Louis..Flying time to Dow Field: 6½ hours.

August 25, 1943
Left Dow Field for Goose Bay, Laborador. Uneventful flight of 4½ hours. Pilot did let-down on Goose Bay radio because of heavy undercast and the country looked very green and beautiful when we broke through. Goose Bay is a combination American – Canadian field, many different uniforms were in evidence. The BOQ was very good.

August 26, 1943
Left Goose Bay for Bluie West One on Greenland. Shot one sun line, the only celestial work on the whole trip, the rest DR from a flight plan with use of radio beams for course corrections. Arrived at Bluie West One, a small field at the end of a fjord, and all the enlisted men crowded into the nose for a good look. We received orders to proceed to Meeks Field, Iceland. Arrived Meeks Field after 10 hours in the air and it was dark so the lights were a welcome sight.

August 27, 1943
Flew from Meeks Field to Prestwick, Scotland by way of Stonoway, an uneventful 4 hour flight. Used Air Transport Command’s book on the trip across and it provided great circle courses, distances, and variation so that it was only necessary to apply metro data to figure a flight plan.

August 28, 1943
Reported to Combat Crew Replacement Center No. #11 Bovington, near London after an all night trip from Scotland on the train.

September 12, 1943
Reported to the 100th Bombardment Group at Thorpe Abbotts near Diss. Norfolk. Assigned to the 349th Bombardment Squadron. Commanding Officer, Major Veal. Crew given a new first pilot, F/O Charles Brooks.

September 23, 1943
Flew as spare on raid to Vannes, France. Couldn’t find group and returned to base from Portland Bill. Given credit for a combat mission through a clerical error.

September 24, 1943
On blind — bombing practice mission over the North Sea. Were led too close to the Frisian Islands and ME-109s and FW-190s attacked the formation catching it completely off guard. 100th lost one ship (Gossage) and half the crew drowned when jumping into water. British E-Boat happened to be passing to raid the Dutch Coast and took five survivors with them.

September 26, 1943
Mission to Paris. Unable to bomb due to heavy undercast and jettisoned bombs in English Channel. Saw first flak from Amiens and Abbeville.

September 27, 1943
Mission to Emden. Flew on left wing of Col. Harding who was in a Pathfinder ship — we were second ship over target. P-47 support very effective and saw no enemy fighters, although some ships in succeeding combat wings were lost. Bombing results were not too good, but mission was a great success for first long range support of fighters.

October 2, 1943
Emden again. Not in such good position and encountered fighter opposition. Didn’t get to bombing altitude until reaching I.P.

October 4, 1943
Started to Frankfurt but never found it and bombed Saarlautern by mistake. Lead Navigator brought us back by way of Paris but weren’t fired at. Reached England in a very lost condition.

October 9, 1943
Mission to Marienberg in East Prussia. Flew with Magee Fuller as first pilot and were in he air 11 hours, but never over 13,000 feet. Focke-Wolf assembly plant almost completely destroyed – considered a most outstanding job of precision bombing. When the 100th reached the target huge columns of smoke were rising, but groups incendiaries missed target anyhow.

October 20, 1943
Mission to Duren, Germany. Flew as high as 30,000 feet to rise above 10/10 cloud cumulo-Nimbus clouds above the Continent. Was very miserable from bends. Flak holes in ship.

November 3, 1943
Pathfinder mission to Wilhelmshaven. Good results.

November 5, 1943
Pathfinder mission to Gelsenkirchen in Ruhr Valley. Missed target completely. Encountered heavy flak and got small holes in wings.

November 7, 1943
Pathfinder mission to Duren

November 13, 1943
Pathfinder mission to Bremen. Equipment in lead ship went out and finally crossed unto Denmark near Island of Sylt. Turned back and encountered considerable fighter opposition. Jettisoned bombs in North Sea. Came back single ship with new crew on our right wing. Terrific headwinds so did considerable sweating before English Coast was sighted. Did a lousy job of navigating and was glad to get a QDM from the base.

November 16, 1943
Raid on power station at Rjukan, Norway, a ten hour mission. Led second element in lead squadron. Capt Barr led group (The 100th was led by Owen “Cowboy” Roane on this mission) Capt Payne “Bubbles” and Capt Peel were lead Navigator and Bombardier and both did excellent jobs and the mission was a success. Forced to climb to 18,000 feet just off English Coast to go above a front upon returning.

November 26, 1943
Day after Thanksgiving. Moved from the 100th to the 482nd Bomb Gp at Alconbury, Huntingdonshire. Assigned to the 812th Squadron to learn “Mickey” system (H2X) of Pathfinder navigation. Lt Flesh became first pilot of the old 100th crew.

March 17, 1944
started on first mission as a Mickey navigator and went to the 95th Bomb Gp with Lt Bensel. Mission scrubbed because of heavy ground fog.

March 18, 1944
Went to Bassingbourne to fly deputy lead with Lt Girse. Had to abort three minutes after crossing French Coast. No #1 supercharger failure — target was Munich.

March 20, 1944
Mission to Frankfurt. Led Thurleigh and flew with Lt. Davis. Command pilot decided to return after one hour inside enemy coast because of bad weather. Mickey not working well, and lead Navigator got lost and brought us back by way of Le Harve.

March 3, 1945
Mission to Nurnberg, Germany. Night scope reconnaissance mission. Lt. Fellows pilot, Capt Jeffries on set, flew as DR without incident.

March 8, 1945
Mission to Brunswick, Germany. Night scope reconnaissance. Flew as Mickey Navigator, Lt. Jason, pilot — without incident.

March 9, 1945
Mission to Erfurt, Germany.Night scope reconnaissance. Capt. Sanderson, pilot — without incident.

April 25, 1945
Transferred to 100th Bomb Gp and assigned to 349th Squadron.

June 1, 1945
Arrived at 70th Reinforcement Depot located near Stone, Staffordshire, for shipment to the Zone of Interior..