Google is reindexing search results for our new site. We appreciate your patience during that process!

The Donald A. Jones Crew

2nd Lt Donald A. Jones
CPT  4/3/45
2nd Lt Grant A. Fuller
CPT  4/3/45
2nd Lt Arthur H. Juhlin
CPT  4/3/45
2nd Lt Ralph P. Farrell,Jr.
SWA  17/10/44
Cpl Donald Stewart, Jr.
Radio Operator/Gunner
SWA  17/10/44
Cpl Alfred F. Marcello
Top Turret Gunner/Engineer
CPT  4/3/45
Cpl Curtis L. Hooker
Ball Turret Gunner
CPT  8/3/45
Cpl Sam L. Foushee
Waist Gunner
CPT 4/3/45
Cpl Perry G. Kratsas
Waist Gunner
Cpl Patrick J. Gillen, Jr.
Tail Gunner
CPT  31/3/45

 418th Sqdn. Crew, as above, joined the 100th Group on 18/8/44.

It is probable that Kratsas was removed from the crew to get down to nine men and went to the replacement pool. On the 11th mission, both Farrell & Stewart suffered severe injuries which resulted in their being returned to the U.S. Bruce Grueschow, from the crew of S. J. Dobrogowski, and Thomas M. Barrett, from the crew of M. J. Anderson both served as bombardiers on the crew. Storm C. Rhode also flew about 20 missions with this crew as a Mickey Operator.

Letter (1/7/84) from Art Juhlin contains much about this crew and says that Sam Foushee and Al Marcello “passed away several years ago.”

This was a “Lead” crew for much of its tour. The following is extracted from Arthur Juhlin’s diary:

“17 Oct.1944 Mission #11 Cologne, Germany.  Due to a malfunction of the bomb racks in our ship only 16 of our 10o# bombs were released. This left eighteen 100# and  two 500# incendiary clusters jammed in the bomb bay. The bombardier and radio operator went back into the bomb bay to try and get rid of the mess, but it was a ticklish job as all the bombs were armed. They finally got most of the pins put back in the lOO# and removed them to the radio room, but were unable to get the incendiaries out; so we decided to wait and try to  salvo them upon reaching the channel. We left the formation and circled over the channel while the bombardier, radio operator and tail gunner tried to get the rest of the bombs, which were wedged up against the bomb bay doors away. It was at this time that one of the incendiary fuses went off with a terrible blast. Our bombardier got hit by several fragments and lost his left eye. The radio operator got several fragments in his leg severing an artery and a nerve. The tail gunner was blown back into the radio room and received minor facial injuries. The bottom of the ship looked like a sieve and there was one hole big enough for a man to crawl through. It was a miracle that the whole ship wasn’t blown to bits. Unable to open the bomb bay doors which had been sprung by the explosion, and not being able to bail out with the injured men on board, we started for the base with the live bombs swinging in the bomb bay. Our waist gunner then volunteered to go back in the bomb bay and try to wire some of the incendiaries together so they wouldn’t be so apt to be jarred loose upon landing. This sure took a lot of guts after what had already happened. As we turned on the approach our pilot remarked that maybe we’d all get a big bang out of the landing, but I am afraid the humor wasn’t appreciated at that time. A safe landing was made and the injured removed to the hospital.

Time of flight was 7 hours. We flew ship #459 and led the high squadron of the lead group. “When Storm C. Rhode came to the 100th as a “Mickey” operator in Sept.1944 and flew about 20 missions with the D. A. Jones crew then some with the DePlanque crew.


We had two radio operators who followed Don Stewart. The first one, although I have a picture of him, none of us can remembered his name. The second one I believe was William P. Hood who came from the Dobrogowski crew. He finished his tour when we did at Ulm in Mar. 1945. Dobrogowski I am sure you know was killed on takeoff for weather mission early one morning along with his co-pilot and navigator. Bruce Grueschow, their bombardier, flew several missions with us as lead bombardier before Tom Barrett came on. I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks…Grant Fuller

List of Missions for Cpl Donald Stewart Jr & Lt. Ralph Farrell Jr. (mpf)

Nbr Date Target Aircraft
01 9/9/44 Dusseldorf-Munitions plant A/C 238175
02 10/9/44 Nurnburg-Tank factory A/C 238175
03 11/9/44 Ruhland-Synthetic Oil Factory A/C 2102649-Lady Geraldine
04 12/9/44 Magdeburg- Synthetic Oil Factory A/C 2102649-Lady Geraldine
05 18/9/44 Warsaw-Supply Drop Arms A/C 297071-Andy’s Dandy’s
06 19/9/44 Szolnok, Hungary-MY A/C 297071-Andy’s Dandy’s
07 3/10/44 Nurnburg-Tank Factory A/C 337636
08 5/10/44 Munster (Recall) A/C 337636
09 7/10/44 Bohlen-Synthetic Oil A/C 337636
10 15/10/44 Cologne-MY A/C 338459-Cargo for Margo
11 17/10/44 Cologne-MY A/C 338459-Cargo for Margo

Following is a 1994 Press Release. It is presented as written without editing or spelling corrections. . pw

From Tas 18/1736A Oct 44
To: Major E. J. Huber. Pro, 3rd Bomb Div. , Public Relations
Confidential 100BG O-343-D

An Eighth Air Force Bomber Station, England— The B-17 flying Fortress “Cargo for Margo”, a hole gouged through it by an incendiary bomb fuse which exploded inside and with fire bombs tangled like jackstraws on the doors of the jammed-shut Bombay, settled down gingerly at it’s base after a dangerous flight from Cologne during which the crew were in deadly peril from the incendiaries. The fuse, which exploded, wounded three of the crew.

Nervy action by the crew in tying fast most of the loose incendiaries jumbled together, after detonation of the fuse when the Bombay release mechanism failed to function properly, with 100 pound high explosive, but at the time not dangerous bombs saved the fortress and crew as well.

Crediting his crew with outstanding courage, Second Lieutenant Donald A. Jones, 22 years old, of Goose Creek, Texas, piloted: Cargo for Margo” safely to it’s 100th Bombardment Group runway.

Almost instinctively, over Cologne, the crew knew something was foul in the Bombay. the fortress did not suddenly lurch up as it should in losing bomb weight. Dropped clear were 14 bombs–but 20 other H. E. bombs and two large clusters of incendiaries fell in a snarled heap.

While still over German held territory, the Bombardier and Radio Operator, respectively Second Lieutenant Ralph P. Harrell, 19, of Gastonia, N. C. and Sergeant Donald Stewart, Jr. of 4447 Marillja Avenue, Van Nuys, Calif. , attempted to dislodge the tangled bombs but failed.

“Close the Bays, ” ordered Lt Jones a few minutes later. “We’re proably over our own territory and we can’t take a chance on dropping these babies on our own boys. “

The Navigator, Second Lieutenant Arthur H. Julin, of 7641 South Hermitage, Chicago, Ill. , notified the pilot that Nazi fighters were in the vicinity “so we can’t try any circus stunts in getting rid of the bombs. “

Although the slightest motion might have detonated the fuse on the cluster of incendiaries—500 pounds of them dropped loose from their moorings and jammed into the bottom of the Bombay the fortress reached the channel and Lt. Farrell and Sgt Stewart decide to work them loose by opening the Bombay doors once again.

Standing on the catwalk, Sgt Stewart carried six 100-pound bombs back into the radio room after the Bombardier placed the safety-pins back in the fuses. Then the Bombardier tried to replace a safety wire into the fuse of the 500-pound incendiary cluster which was jammed against the side of the Bombay’s curving door.

The fuse on the cluster exploded. Fragments of the fuse splattered throughout the Bombay and slivers struck the bombardier in the face, causing a severe wound, and struck the radio operator in the legs and body. detonation of the fuse on the cluster released all the individual bombs within the cluster.

The tail gunner, Sergeant Sam L. Foushee, 24, of Lillington, N. C. , had just come up from his gun position and suffered a slight facial wound.

The Bombay doors had warped from the explosion and the cylindrical shaped incendiaries were protruding through the cracks and became more a menace than ever. Although suffering painfully, both the bombardier and the radio operator struggled back, seeing the danger, to try to prevent the rest of the incendiaries from dooming the bomber.

While two gunners, Sgt Foushee and Sergeant Curtis L. Hooker, 19, of Copan, Okl. , ball turret gunner, administered first aid to the three wounded, a third gunner–Sergeant Patrick J. Gillen, Jr. of 538 Union Avenue, New York city, left his waist gun position and began the dangerous job of securing the loosened incendiaries. He soon was joined by Sgt Foushee.

“They tackled the job in spite of the fact that just a minute before the bombardier had been badly hurt trying to do the same thing. ” Declared the pilot. “We all held our breath while Gillen and Foushee edged down through the maze of bombs and tied them fast with an arming wire–which minimized the danger and possibly saved the bomber and us, too. I knew I had to bring the plane down, because of the wounded men, and when I asked if anyone wanted to bale out, there wasn’t a single reply on the inter phone. “

The fortress had fallen behind its formation by now. “When we get over England, the air will get rough and you’ll have to take it easy. ” said the bombardier. “You might not know what a hot potato you have here, but I do. “

While Lt Jones went back to inspect the damage, the Co-pilot, 21 year old Second Lieutenant Grant A. Fuller, of 601 East Fourth Street, Hereford, Texas, handled the controls, and the engineer, Staff Sergeant Alfred F. Marcello, 22, of 1248 Fremont Avenue, St. Paul, reported that trying to land with the individual incendiaries would proably bring disastrous results, each individual incendiary has a fuse which detonated on impact.

Lt Jones eased “Cargo for Margo” down for a smooth landing, and the medics were on hand to give attention to the three wounded fliers. Ground crew men later safely removed the incendiaries –103 of them– from the plane.